BOOKS AND BLOGGING PHILOSOPHY

Philosophy is defined as a theory underlying or regarding a sphere of activity or thought. Well, my theory is if I can add at least 10 new books to my Wishlist and move at least 5 older Wishlist selections to my TBR list every month, then life is a ice cream sundae. And if I can find those 10 books from at least 5 new blogs each month then that's the cherry on top.

NEW VISITORS AND OLD- WELCOME!

NEW VISITORS AND OLD- WELCOME!
Well, I've made it almost 5 years now, so for better or worse, I continue on. I tend to blog in spurts as the urge to be creative erupts. As I don't have an artistic bone in my body, you will see very few changes in the layouts. Hey, I'm a reader not an artist like so many of the awesome bloggers I follow. I know you don't always have the time but if you stopped and looked, take a half a minute and say your piece. Recommend a book that you have enjoyed or hated for that matter. Thank you to all who visit.
Oh, and I moved my Google Friend Connect info and share this buttons to the top, as without our friends, who are we?


Tuesday, January 9, 2018

Review For GUNSLINGER GIRL By Lyndsay Ely- 3 1/2*

Title: Gunslinger Girl

Series: (at this point a standalone)

Author: Lyndsay Ely
Genre: YA Dystopian
Rating: * * * 1/2
Publishers: James Patterson Presents
(Jan 2, 2018)
Hardback: 432 pages
FTC Disclosure: My copy

James Patterson presents a bold new heroine--a cross between Katniss Everdeen and Annie Oakley: Serendipity Jones, the fastest sharpshooter in tomorrow's West. 
Seventeen-year-old Serendipity "Pity" Jones inherited two things from her mother: a pair of six shooters and perfect aim. She's been offered a life of fame and fortune in Cessation, a glittering city where lawlessness is a way of life. But the price she pays for her freedom may be too great....


In this extraordinary debut from Lyndsay Ely, the West is once again wild after a Second Civil War fractures the U.S. into a broken, dangerous land. Pity's struggle against the dark and twisted underbelly of a corrupt city will haunt you long after the final bullet is shot.

This was an okay read. It didn't blow me away but I did manage to read it pretty quickly. Serendipity is not even close to being in the same category as Katniss Everdeen, however. I think marketers really make a huge mistake when they compare a new book to the incomparable-IE Hunger Games or Harry Potter. They hold up an example that can rarely be met and readers go away disappointed with what was a good read just not the next great read. 
That said I did enjoy the trip just wish there had been a bit more Western feel to it given the cover, the very awesome cover! I also wish there had been a bit more backstory of the Second Civil War. I feel like this was an area that was so lacking and could have added a lot more oomph to the story. I liked that this didn't have the typical love triangle (thank you so much, Lyndsay) in so many YA books and loved the theater aspect of it. Several reviewers compared it to a carnivale type but it actually gave me a Moulin Rouge feel. This book had a good strong start to it but it dragged a bit in the middle before it's grand finale. There is definitely a possibility of another book in this series with the way it ends and the author says "We'll see" when questioned on this. 

Lyndsay Ely (pronounced “eel-y”, as in those eels are looking very eel-y today) is a writer who currently calls Boston home. She is a geek, a foodie, a feminist, and has never met an antique shop she didn’t like. Her favorite color is crimson, and her favorite book is The Count of Monte Cristo.
Gunslinger Girl is her debut novel.

2 comments:

Becca said...

Maybe this book is just better suited for young adults, and not everyone? It's like when singers on American Idol do a Whitney Houston song --- it rarely lives up!

The Candid Cover said...

I love books like this that feature fierce females. I will have to add it to my TBR. :)